If you’re holding your breath, even though they said they will revert your rights, and you began the process 6 months ago, countless emails, phone calls, etc. You’re told you will get the rights reverted back on a book from 11 years ago, just move ahead with your life. Much easier that way.
This is a big publisher, one of the biggest in fact, and they move at snail’s pace and sometimes they respond to your queries and sometimes they do not. I have more “have not responded” then I do “have responded.”
So I move on and do what I must do, which is continue writing and every month I send them an email and ask about the status since I never hear anything unless I bug them. So today I sent an email to my initial contact in their legal department and copied both parties on the last several emails. We shall see if there is any response. I intend to pursue this until it all ends up where it’s supposed to be, my rights back to me 100%.
Publishers change people so often, perhaps my initial contact is not longer there, hence the reason I sent it to the bigwig in the legal department.
So how long is too long to be patient in this matter?